Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 - changing the face of battery technology
Fero is New Zealand distributor for the LiFeBATT range of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. With a key focus on non-toxic sustainable type products as an alternative to traditional power storage methods, LiFeBATT offers a significant number of advantages over both Lead Acid and previous Lithium battery technologies. At a third of the weight, ten times the cycle life of lead acid, 95% energy efficiency and extremely fast charging, LiFeBATT is changing the face of battery technology in a huge number of applications from power tools to electric vehicles.
LiFeBATT is a US-based company with headquarters in Las Vegas, Nevada and state of the art manufacturing facilities in Taiwan.
Performance• Extremely high deep cycle life - over 3,600 cycles at 100% depth of discharge compared to typically 600 for Lead Acid. US Department of Energy Sandia Laboratories have successfully tested to over 7,000 deep cycles
• Rapid charge capability (3C) – a completely discharged LiFeBATT can be bought back to a state of greater than 80% fully charged in 20 minutes, 100% charged in 60 minutes
• No ‘voltage sag’ means a virtually flat discharge curve delivering maximum power until fully discharged – even under maximum loads applied constantly
• High discharge rate capability – continuous discharge rating is 10C and pulse discharge rating is 18C.
• High energy density compared to Lead Acid batteries. For example in many applications a 60Ah LiFePO4 battery will provide the equivalent output performance of a 100 Ah Lead Acid battery
• Extremely low self-discharge rate reduces the need to trickle-charge batteries in shelf storage
• Can be left in a partially discharged state for extended periods without causing permanent damage
• LiFePO4 batteries do not suffer from ‘memory effect’ and have a lower capacity loss rate compared to NiMH and other Lithium compounds
• Slim cylindrical cell construction means a custom battery can be manufactured to virtually any shape to fit into very small spaces in marine and vehicle applications
• The superior performance, lower maintenance costs and higher cycle life of LiFePO4 batteries easily demonstrates a lower TOC (Total Cost of Ownership) over Lead Acid, NiMH and other Lithium compositions.
Reliability• State of the art robotic manufacturing facility employing the highest standards of quality control
• LiFeBATT offers extended performance and reliability using highest grade anode powders, only available to manufacturers licenced by patent holder Phostech Lithium Inc., Canada.
• Wide operating temperature range - from 70% operating capacity at -20degC to full operating capacity at 55degC
• Solidly construction with no fragile plates gives immunity to high vibration applications
• Robust, gold plated terminals
• Warranty – for approved applications LiFeBATT offers a 3 year or 3,000 cycle warranty, whichever occurs sooner. Even in a 100% depth of charge scenario, LiFeBATT fully expects the battery packs to comfortably exceed 3,000 cycles and still retain more than 85% of their original capacity
Size, Weight & Capacity• LiFeBATT at 150whkg is one third to one fifth the weight of an equivalent Lead Acid cell at 30whkg
• Employs Lithium - the lightest metal known to man
• Battery cases constructed in aluminium and high impact plastic for light weight
• Choice of 10, 15 and 25Ah cell capacities
• 3.3 Volt cell characteristic
• Battery packs available in 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 96, 108 and 144 Volt assemblies
• All battery packs 182mm wide, 70.5 ~ 207 high, 182 ~ 546mm long
• Large format LiFeBATT battery packs are available now as off-the-shelf direct replacements for Lead Acid and NiMH batteries
Safety & Environmental• Extremely stable with none of the thermal runaway or sulphation effects of lead-acid cells
• Will not overheat, catch fire or explode if inadvertently overcharged
• Can be used safely in high ambient temperatures of up to 60degC without any degradation in performance
• Inherently safe since they do not produce flammable gasses under any circumstances - even if overcharged
• The most environmentally friendly battery chemistry available today with no toxic chemicals such as lead, cadmium, corrosive acids or alkalis
• Low phosphate levels within UN Air Standards
• 99% recyclable material
Convenience• Multi-application battery that can be used for both high power applications such as engine starting as well as low-medium applications such as auxiliary or ‘house’ power
• Absolutely maintenance free for the life of the battery
• Can be operated in any orientation
• Certified for safe carriage as air freight to UN Air Standards
• Connect in series for higher voltages or in parallel for higher capacity
Total Solution• LiFeBATT cells are available as individual units for OEM’s (MOQ’s apply) or as a complete power storage solution
• Battery packs incorporate VMS (Voltage Management System) and can be supplied with certified constant current/voltage Soneil or Zivan charger – compatible with alternator type outputs
• On-board Battery Management System balances individual cells, provides status indicators and alarm indicators for low/high voltage and over temperature states. Cell and pack information available to external monitoring applications via on-board DB9 UART port
• VMS (Voltage Management System) software tool available to monitor battery parameters
• GlobeTRAC (GPRS-based remote monitoring system) available to monitor the condition of each individual cell in battery pack to notify any potential problems before battery performance is impaired
• Resettable BPM (Battery Protection Module) available for low-end systems to protect the pack from low voltage states. Connects to VMS and provides alarms before shut down
To request more information, pricing or to contact a sales representative at Fero.